We’ve all experienced how little things can add up to big frustrations over time.
Having to request a two-step verification passcode from Google before logging into a new device as you start a meeting isn’t really a big deal—until you have to do it five times in one day. Or you’re waiting for a passcode that never arrives—while everyone in the meeting is waiting on you.
These little nuisances grate on our nerves and can keep us from being fully productive. They make us long for something we didn’t know we were missing: frictionless workplace technology.
What Is Frictionless Workplace Technology?
Frictionless technology removes those little frustrations that can keep employees from being productive—like having to spend 10 minutes logging into each new meeting.
Peter Mansell, director of intelligent workplace at HPE, describes frictionless technology as that which enables frictionless productivity. And it’s an important part of attracting and retaining top talent.
“Companies have to look at the whole digital and physical picture of the workplace,” he said in a Raconteur article. “They can have the most beautiful, airy and open environment, but without the right tools for staff, which are simple and mirror their intuitive consumer experience, the job will become painful, and it quickly becomes hard to retain staff.”
According to Mansell, frictionless technology is:
Frictionless technology is updated in real-time, without the need for complex infrastructure. It most often refers to cloud-based software platforms or artificial intelligence that automates repetitive tasks across multiple systems—such as sending updates about the status of a project or a deal.
It has the ability to remember preferences and even anticipate future needs.
How Do You Implement Frictionless Workplace Technology?
You can have the best technology on the market, but if employees don’t understand its value, they’re never going to use it.
To make sure you have frictionless workplace technology that will be widely adopted, ask yourself these questions:
- What do our employees need most? A faster way to book meetings? An easier way to share files?
- What are the issues with what they’re currently using? (It may just be that employees are trying to solve the same problems by downloading different applications that aren’t secure or compatible.)
- Consider your IT infrastructure. Will you need to upgrade your physical servers or wireless network to make the new technology work?
- How user-friendly is the new technology? Is it similar to the apps employees use outside of the office?
- How well does it integrate with the workplace technology you already have? If you want to make it easier for employees to submit service requests, does the technology connect with your current facility maintenance software?
Make Your Dream of Frictionless Technology A Reality
Every employee deserves a workplace with frictionless technology.
When they don’t have that, they’re more likely to become disengaged. If their frustration reaches a breaking point, it can even drive them away.
A survey of 12,000 employees in 12 countries found 59 percent of employees at organizations with outdated workplace technology had negative feelings toward their employer.
That’s a scary thought.
But the good news is, it doesn’t have to be this way. iOFFICE Hummingbird and the Hummingbird employee experience app offer the kind of frictionless technology your workplace has been missing.
The Hummingbird EX app allows employees to find people and places, reserve rooms or equipment, request service, receive mail or visitors and more, removing obstacles to productivity.
Discover what frictionless technology can do for your workplace. Request a demo today.