Why You Should Be Thankful For Your Facility Management Team
Today’s facility management professionals are juggling more responsibilities than ever. They’re under pressure to not only manage operations and reduce costs, but also provide services, amenities and technology that contributes to an exceptional workplace experience. And because so much of what they do is behind the scenes, they don’t often get recognition for everything they do.
This holiday season, take a moment to consider just how much your facility management team does to keep your workplace running smoothly.
20 Reasons To Be Thankful For Your Facility Management Team
- Facility management leaders are often your best advocates, communicating the needs of your workforce to the executive team. Need additional meeting room space? More standing desks? They’re on it!
- Facility management pros support the health and wellbeing of your workforce by offering unique perks, such as on-site dining options, recreational facilities or massage therapists.
- They make sure the restrooms are clean and stocked with plenty of supplies.
- Facility managers build flexible workplaces with a variety of spaces for different activities, whether it’s solo work, collaborative meetings or casual conversations.
- Facility managers keep the workplace comfortable, ensuring the thermostat is at a comfortable setting and the air quality is good.
- They perform predictive maintenance to prevent unexpected equipment breakdowns.
- The facility management team clears snow from your parking lot and driveways and salts icy walkways to prevent falls.
- They design a workplace where employees have plenty of access to natural light and office noise is minimized.
- They regularly service the interior and exterior lighting systems so employees don’t have to walk through a dark parking garage.
- Facility management pros evaluate asset utilization to determine when additional investments are needed to better accommodate the needs of the workforce.
- They also monitor the performance of all assets (from the coffee maker to the HVAC system) to ensure everything is functioning properly.
- Facility management leaders are responsible for fire safety and developing emergency response plans to ensure every employee knows how to stay safe during a crisis.
- They implement technology like digital signage and wayfinding so new employees can easily navigate the workplace and find colleagues.
- They advocate for investments in innovative workplace technology that supports the productivity of the workforce.
- Facility management pros play an important role in building security, ensuring everyone who enters your workplace is authorized.
- Facility managers also ensure your visitors have a positive experience from the moment they arrive, using an efficient visitor check-in process and helping them navigate your building.
- They schedule landscaping services to ensure the areas around the workplace aren’t overgrown or breeding grounds for insects.
- They help your organization adhere to its commitment to sustainability through energy conservation and waste management.
- Facility management pros coordinate the assignment of service tickets so requests are correctly prioritized and handled as quickly as possible.
- They make sure every meeting room is equipped with up-to-date conference room technology and fix any issues so you don’t have to deal with embarrassing technical difficulties.
These are just a few typical facility management responsibilities your team is likely responsible for. It would be impossible to list everything!
How You Can Show Your Appreciation to Your Facilities Manager
There are plenty of ways you can show your facility manager or facility management team how much you appreciate everything they do. Here are a few suggestions:
- Send them a handwritten thank you note
- Bring them homemade cookies
- Give them a shoutout at the next company meeting
- Order them lunch from their favorite restaurant
- Send an email to their boss letting them know what they did to make your day
- Buy them a gift card to their favorite coffee shop
No matter how you decide to say thanks, make sure it’s personalized and sincere. Facility managers do a lot to make your workplace exceptional. Their job is often thankless, and employees don’t usually call them unless something is broken.
A little recognition can go a long way to boost their spirits and encourage them!